telSpoed & crisis

Guardianship measure

You will get a guardian who can make custody decisions
Every child needs an adult who makes decisions and who is responsible for the care and upbringing. Sometimes your parent can no longer bear this authority. This may be the case in the following situations, among others:

  • If both of your parents with authority have died
  • In case of a long-term stay abroad of your parent
  • In case of a long-term admission of your parent to a psychiatric hospital
  • If your mother was a minor when you were born
  • If your parent cannot be found
  • If your parent is under guardianship
  • If your parent has deliberately caused serious harm to you

In these cases, among others, the juvenile court can appoint a guardian. The guardian can be someone from your immediate environment. An uncle, aunt or grandmother, for instance, but a certified institution such as Jeugdbescherming West can also take on the guardianship.