telSpoed & crisis

Guardianship measure

Your child will get a guardian who can make custody decisions
Every child needs an adult who makes decisions and who is responsible for the care and upbringing. Sometimes a parent can no longer bear this authority. This may be the case in the following situations, among others:

  • If both parents with authority have died
  • In case of a long-term stay abroad of the parent
  • In case of a long-term admission of the parent to a psychiatric hospital
  • If the mother is a minor when her baby is born
  • If the parent cannot be found
  • If the parent is under guardianship
  • If the parent has deliberately caused serious harm to the minor

In these cases, among others, the juvenile court can appoint a guardian. The guardian can be someone close to your child. An uncle, aunt or grandmother, for instance, but a certified institution such as Jeugdbescherming West can also take on the guardianship.